Your kid's comfort is pretty crucial for any hiking/backpacking adventure. That's why when it came to Levi finally getting his first official pack, we went with the Sprig 12L from REI.
My son is getting more & more interested & intrigued by the wilderness each day (Yes, I'm completely thrilled!). The packs I was having him use on the trails just weren't making the job easy, so I decided to look into an actual daypack for him that we could easily store water, food, clothing & other 4-year old chosen goods in (for Levi, that means random Star Wars action figures, his Wooden toy camera, Legos & Angry Birds). REI offers basically the perfect packs for kids starting at 4 years of age, which was perfect. The Sprig is a twelve liter pack, made for kids from 5-8 years old. This is one of those packs that won't leave his possession after out growing it either, it'll be kept in the family forever, collecting dust in my garage or his closet until his children can use it.
Sprig 12L Details
- Mesh-covered padding conforms to a kid's back, providing a stable fit; shoulder straps also have comfortable mesh-covered padding
- Inner hydration pocket fits a 2-liter hydration reservoir (sold separately); port lets kids route the sip tube over either shoulder
- Large mesh stash pocket on front can fit a jacket, hat and gloves
- Front zip pocket, stretch-mesh side pockets and inner mesh pockets help organize trail essentials
- Safety whistle is built into the sternum-strap buckle
We're really stoked on this pack, Levi is so proud to wear it & is even more excited now to help pack most of his gear when we're about to head out for the weekend backpacking or just a day hike across town. REI gear is seriously on a level that I can only respect & get behind, I wouldn't put it on my son's shoulders if I felt any different.
All images taken with Kodak Portra 160 film.
Shop for the Sprig 12L pack or other outdoor goods at www.REI.com